Sunday, October 10, 2010

Falling into winter...


Fall is definitely here in southern New England. The temperature was 40 degrees when I tumbled out of bed this morning. Brrrrrr...I love fall with the changing of the leaves to shades of gold and red, biting into crisp, tart apples, and the smell of wood stoves burning. What I don't love is the anticipation of frigid temperatures and icy walkways that come with winter. What I love, though, is the first snowfall; walking through the fresh powder, tilting my head to feel the light patter of snowflakes in my face; watching Hannah, race down the driveway, her snout digging through the snow, making tunnels.

Am I crazy? I am a dichotomy of loves. I love snow when I'm home to enjoy it or when I'm cross-country skiing. I hate snow when I'm about to leave for work or about to leave work for home and snowflakes swirl across the windshield, blocking my view. I'm sure I'm not alone in this love/hate relationship with winter. But as winter looms in the distance, I can't help but wonder if my friends and family who live in warmer climates have the right idea.

4 comments:

  1. You (and the thought of winter) make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both summer and winter, however, I can do without the shoveling and scraping of ice and snow. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! You are not the only one that feels this way, Laurie! I do love the snow, though! Nothing better than a snow day--an unexpected gift! I just assume have snow if I'm going to be cold anyway. But, I also know that you and I would rather it be summertime on Cape Cod...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a typical New Englander, I feel ambivalent about the seasons and the weather, too. But each season has features I love.

    ReplyDelete